Residential HVAC Service Technician – Level 4
- Job Title: Residential HVAC Service Technician – Level 4
- Department: Service
- Reports to: Service Manager
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Classification: Craft workers
- Work Hours: 7:00am – 4:00pm, some weekends and evenings
- Pay Scale: $XX-$XX / hour
- Position Summary: To provide maintenance and repairs on a wide variety of residential and commercial heating and air conditioning systems according to company standards providing the customer with a high quality experience. Assist with training Service Technicians Level 1-3
Required Qualifications / Achievements:
- Valid driver’s license
- EPA Universal Refrigerant Handling License
- Demonstrate willingness to invest in tools used in Service of HVAC equipment
- Demonstrate willingness to invest time in service training seminars and classes
- Work from 28' extension ladder and 12' step ladder
- Meet all qualifications and have all tools required for Service Technicians Level 1-3. Including ability to demonstrate working knowledge of daily, weekly, monthly skills noted below
- Low Voltage License
- Nate Core Certification
- Understand and communicate benefits of preventative maintenance
- Demonstrate advanced customer service skills and have ability to communicate clearly, idea’s and explanations of problems to residential and commercial customers and coworkers
- Demonstrate willingness to accept responsibility and leadership roles.
- Operate scissors and genie lifts in safe manner
- NATE Core Certification and 1 Specialty Certification
Desired Qualifications / Achievements:
- HVAC Tech School certificate
- EPA Certified
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Purchase / Maintain required tool list for Service Technician Level 4
- Arrive at jobsite at scheduled time and location as dispatched
- Relocate from one jobsite to another jobsite as dispatched during the workday.
- Report to dispatcher when arriving and leaving jobsite
- Operate company vehicle as needed
- Follow instructions from supervisor and/or dispatcher and carry out in timely manner
- Report problems with company tools or vehicle promptly
- Report problems with equipment to Service Dispatcher to expedite parts delivery
- Communicate with customers and collect C.O.D. on maintenance visits as directed
- Ability to work staggered schedule if required
- Maintain professional appearance and attitude at all times
- Complete all service related forms properly
- Provide all customers with new / renewal maintenance agreement program information
- Acquire residential planned maintenance agreements
- Inform and educate customers on additional products or services available through company
- Inform customer of replacement options following company guidelines
- Ability to work staggered schedule if required
- On call status for emergency service as required
- Begin acquisition of NATE Specialty Certifications
- Train and instruct Service Technicians Level 1 – 3 as directed
- Perform the following technical duties:
- Electrical and refrigeration principles
- Service tools and testing devices
- Ability to layout and install refrigeration piping
- Ability to layout and install low voltage wiring
- Ability to read and interpret wiring diagrams and blueprints
- Diagnose, repair & provide preventative maintenance on a wide range of residential and light commercial equipment without supervision.
- HVAC building code compliance.
- Advanced troubleshooting techniques.
- Advanced experience in presenting repair and replacement options.
- Operation of scissors and genie lifts in safe manner.
- Basic sheet metal practices.
- Air balancing principles, techniques & diagnostics with velometer or hood
- Calculate equipment efficiency
- Basic sheet metal practices
- Other duties as assigned
- Converse with building and homeowners, general contractors, referring questions and/or problems to supervisor
- Communicate clearly, the ideas and explanations of problems to customers and coworkers
- Diagnose and troubleshoot a wide range of residential and light commercial equipment, present repair and replacement options
- Complete service repairs as approved by customer
Success Factors / Job Competencies:
- Motivated work ethic
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude
- Positive attitude
- Proficiency in using tools
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong team player
- Willingness to learn
Physical demands and work environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While preforming the duties of this position, the employee is required to walk, stoop, balance on feet, talk, hear, squat, climb, reach about their head and drive a company vehicle. They will use their hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects weighing 50-100lbs. Use of visions abilities include, close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to focus.
While preforming the duties of this position, the employee is exposed to weather conditions at that time. They may be required to be in confined spaces for short periods of time.
Certain key business indicators that will measure the effectiveness of this job description. These include the following:
Achievements Required for Level 5:Back to Posts